Hey Guys, today’s post is about the ‘Shiny Object Syndrome’ and hopefully how to avoid it. I think the main reason to why people fall for this is because they are always looking for ‘The One’ that one product or course that will give us that one click magic button to internet riches… Well, guess what folks… It doesn’t exist! I’m sorry to tell you that, but it’s true, the next ‘Best Thing’ is just usually hyped up so you get out your hard earn cash and buy it. That is not to say that all products are like that but a majority of them are, in fact, you probably have the next ‘Best Thing’ already on your hard drive from previous purchases!
Which brings me to another reason, 95% of people don’t take action on the products and courses that they do buy. Now, I admit that I used to fall into that bracket, I would buy a nice shiny object, open it up, I would even go through the first module, then either my Facebook messenger or email client would go ‘DING’ then spend the next 30 minutes to an hour chatting, replying to emails and playing the ever so annoying Candy Crush lol (actually, I never played Candy Crush because I was cured before that came out, but you get where I’m coming from) then I’d be so distracted at this point I’d completely forgotten what I was doing in the first place, and the loop continues.
So here is my advice to help you avoid buying the next shiny object:
1. When you go into a niche, pick something that you enjoy or that you are interested in, that way it will help keep you focused and just focus on one thing at a time, if you start to buy product after product, you will be overwhelmed and that means Information Overload kicks in and you will end up with getting nothing done.
2. Focus Focus Focus! Turn your phone on silent, close down your email client and TURN OFF FACEBOOK!!! If you are concentrating on what you are doing and not getting distractions, you can take clear action on your projects!
3. Time Management, plan your time well, if you say you are going to spend 1 hour a day on your internet business, make sure its not the hour when your favourite TV show is on. When you spend that hour without distractions, you will be amazed at what you can achieve, which again helps keep you focused. Take that action, don’t procrastinate!
4. Like I said before, not all products and courses are rubbish, by all means buy the software that is relevant to your project and the course that will help you achieve a faster success, but ask yourself this: Do I Need It? Can I Get By Without It? Can I afford It? If you are being honest with yourself, I bet you only get to ask the first question!
5. This is an important one, try not to get on too many mailing lists, otherwise you will get bombarded with offers that are too good to be true, it would be like offering a recovering alcoholic a job in a liquor store! Stay on the lists that are relevant to you and your business as it is always good to keep up with what is trending and going on in your niche.
I’m sure there are many other ways to help stop you from buying up the WSO’s, however, if you stick to the five tips above, it will help you to be more productive and keep you interested in what you are doing and not be distracted by the SOS! I would love to hear if you have your own tips that have stopped you buying the next best thing so please leave a comment in box below this post.
I would also like to invite you to join my brand new Facebook Group where I’ll be sharing tips and tricks on SEO, Affiliate Marketing and List Building. I have a few of my marketer friends join up too so there will be a wealth of knowledge in the group, you can ask all sorts of questions if you are having trouble with any aspect of your business, we will be there to help.